Our Secret Christmas Cake Recipe…
Mrs Sanderson’s Secret Christmas Cake Recipe
- 12oz/340g Plain Flour
- One teaspoon of Mixed Spice
- 4oz/110g Ground Almonds
- 8oz/225g Currants
- 8oz/225g Sultanas
- 8oz/225 Raisins (stoned)
- 4oz/110g Cherries (halved)
- 4oz/110g Mixed Peel (chopped)
- 8oz/225g butter
- 8oz/225g Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs, beaten
- 8 Tablespoons of Milk
- As it’s the spirit of Christmas you can add this to the fruit and soak the night before:
- 4 tablespoons of Brandy
- 2 tablespoons of Cointreau
- Mix Flour, Spice and Ground Almonds.
- Clean and mix the Fruits.
- Beat the Butter and Sugar to a cream in a warm bowl.
- Beat the Eggs and Milk together.
- Then stir the flour mixture and the Eggs and Milk (alternatively, add a little at a time) with the Butter and Sugar.
- Add the fruit last and mix thoroughly.
- If a darker cake is desired add a teaspoon of Gravy Browning.
- Use a large round cake tin (8-inch diameter) lined with greaseproof paper. Bake for about 4 hours in a preheated oven at 120 °c.
- Then leave to cool
- Feed the cake with 1-2 tablespoons of alcohol every fortnight.
A Christmas cake should be rich and spicy; bursting with boozy fruit but never heavy. After all, you need to leave room for a mince pie.