Answers to HSL’s Weekly Quiz – 9th September
Ready for the answers…?
- “Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.”, is the famous first line of which 1938 Gothic novel?
‘Rebecca’, by Daphne du Maurier
- Who was the first president of the United States?
- What is the most common bird in the UK?
- Who is the current King of Norway?
- Which Dame, a WWII Forces’ Sweetheart, died in June this year, at the grand age of 103?
- What was Walt Disney Studios’ first ever fully animated feature film? Hint: it was released in 1937.
‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’
- In 1963, Gerry and the Pacemakers were the first act whose first three singles reached number 1 in the UK Singles Chart. Which three songs were they?
‘How Do You Do It’, ‘I Like It’ and ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’
- Who discovered Tutankhamun’s tomb?
Howard Carter, a British archaeologist
- “Are you trying to seduce me, Mrs. Robinson?”, is a common misquote of a famous line from the 1967 film, ‘The Graduate’. What was the real line?
“Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce me.”
- Bob Dylan was famously booed in 1965, onstage at Newport Folk Festival. Why?
This was his first ever electric set; some people felt that he had ‘sold out’ folk music in favour of rock ‘n’ roll
- “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”, is the famous first line of which 1813 romance novel of manners?
‘Pride and Prejudice’
- Name all four of Queen Elizabeth II’s children (bonus points if you know their titles!).
Charles, Prince of Wales
Anne, Princess Royal
Andrew, Duke of York
Edward, Earl of Wessex
- What year was the first ever Wimbledon Championship held?
- On the periodic table, what does the symbol ‘Mn’ represent?
- What is a group of owls called?
- A Harvey Wallbanger is traditionally made with three ingredients; orange juice, Galliano liqueur and which common spirit?
- Which mathematician, inventor and engineer is often referred to as the Father of the Computer?
- Which planet in our solar system has the strongest gravitational force?
- Which fruit is used in the sponge of sticky toffee pudding?
- Which product was advertised in the first ever TV advert?
Toothpaste, specifically Gibbs SR toothpaste. (If you haven’t already, make sure to watch the ad on YouTube – it’s a piece of history!)