Answers to HSL’s Weekly Quiz- 2nd August 2021
Ready for the answers?
- How many Olympic medals does former British middle-distance runner, Lord Sebastian Coe KBE, have?
Four (two gold and two silver)
- What is a Golden Slam in tennis?
Winning all four Grand Slams (Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open) and the Olympics in the same year
- What event did Dame Jessica Ennis-Hill DBE compete in?
- How many gold medals did Great Britain win in track and field on ‘Super Saturday’ during the London 2012 Olympics?
Three (Jessica Ennis-Hill, Greg Rutherford and Mo Farah)
- How many rings are there on the Olympic logo?
- Which fellow Olympic cyclist is Laura Trott CBE married to?
- Which female American sprinter was banned from Tokyo 2020 after failing a drugs test?
- Name two new sports that appeared at the Tokyo Olympics for the first time.
Surfing, sport climbing, skateboarding, baseball and karate
- Where were the first modern Olympic Games held?
- American athlete, Michael Phelps, competed in which sport?
- How many nations boycotted the 1980 Moscow Olympics?
- Which colour is not one of the Olympic rings – black, red, green or white?
- American sprinter, Michael Johnson, was the first man in history to win both of which races at the Olympics?
200m and 400m
- Where was former track cycling champion, Sir Chris Hoy, born?
- How old was British diver, Tom Daley, when he competed in his first Olympics?
14 years old
- What does the Olympic motto “Citius, Altius, Fortius” translate to in English?
“Faster, Higher, Stronger”
- In rowing, what is the name of the person who sits in the boat, directs it, and tells the rowers what to do?
- How long is an Olympic-length swimming pool?
- During the Los Angeles 1932 Olympics, what error was made during the men’s 3,000m steeplechase event?
They ran an extra lap
- What is the order of events in a triathlon?
Swim, bike, run