Lemon drizzle cake
Perfect for any garden party you may be throwing this summer, this delicious lemon drizzle cake with it’s zingy insides and perfectly sweet glaze is the perfect addition to any occasion buffet or a quite sunny Sunday in the garden.
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 lemon, zested
For the drizzle topping
- 1½ lemons, juiced
- 85g caster sugar
- Start by preheating the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper.
- Start by beating together the butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy, once done add your eggs one at a time, slowly mixing through until full combined.
- Slowly sift in the self-raising flour to the mixture, folding it gently until it is thoroughly mixed in. Once done, add the lemon zest and mix until well combined.
- Carefully spoon your cake batter into your lined loaf tin and bake in the oven for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the lemon juice and caster sugar until smooth to make the perfect drizzle.
- Once mixed, prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour the drizzle over the top of the cake, ensuring to cover the whole top of the cake. The juice will then sink in to the cake and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
All that is left to do now is display your sweet creation on your best cake stand for all to admire.
If you would like to view more of our delicious recipes you can visit our recipes page on our Feel Good Hub.