How to dry flowers with silica gel:
This method is the best way to dry flowers to retain their colour, and it doesn’t require a microwave. It can be used to dry any flowers, as long as you have a large container and enough gel to cover.
- Find an airtight container with a removable lid and fill the base with silica gel. Make sure to wear gloves to protect yourself.
- Spread out the flowers on top of the gel, so they are separated. As a top tip, place larger flower heads face up, flat faced flowers face down, and long, thin flowers on their side.
- Completely cover the flowers in silica and put the airtight lid on, or tightly cover with clingfilm before placing out of direct sunlight.
- After 3-5 days, delicately take the flowers out. If you are happy enough with how dry they are, take a soft brush and dust them.
- Make sure all gel is removed before you display the flowers or use them for crafts.
Using this silica gel method is best for drying delicate, single flowers.