Answers to HSL’s Weekly Quiz – 24th December 2020
Ready for the answers…?
- In the English Christmas carol, ‘The Twelve Days of Christmas’, what did “my true love” gift on the 10th day?
Ten lords a-leaping
- Name all eight of Santa’s original reindeer.
Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen. Rudolph joined later!
- In the 17th century, which famous figure allegedly made mince pies illegal in England?
- Which American actor played the Grinch in the 2000 film, ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’?
- What popular Christmas carol has the lyric “on a cold winter’s night that was so deep”?
The First Noel
- Which British monarch delivered the first royal Christmas Day message to the nation?
King George V (The Queen’s grandfather)
- What spice is most often used in the festive drink eggnog?
- Can you name the four ghosts featured in Charles Dicken’s beloved book, ‘A Christmas Carol’?
Jacob Marley, The Ghost of Christmas Past, Christmas Present and Christmas Future
- ‘White Christmas’ is a classic Christmas song written by Irving Berlin, but who first sang the original on Christmas Day in 1941?
- How do you say ‘Merry Christmas’ in French?
- What is the animated carrot called in Aldi’s Christmas adverts?
Kevin the Carrot
- What is traditionally hidden inside a Christmas pudding and believed to bring good fortune?
A silver coin (traditionally a six pence)
- In popular Christmas film ‘Home Alone’, what is the name of the lead character played by actor Macaulay Culkin?
- What is the name of the Jewish festival celebrated around Christmas time?
- Where can you find the festively named Australian island, Christmas Island?
Indian Ocean, Indonesia – 1500km west of the Australian mainland
- In what year did Coca-Cola Christmas trucks first appear in the brand’s Christmas advert?
- In ‘The Christmas Song’ (1961) by Nat King Cole, what is “nipping at your nose”?
- What is Glühwein commonly known as?
- Where did Mary and Joseph live before the birth of Jesus Christ?
- What fruit is traditionally found in the bottom of Christmas stockings?